His Excellency Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani was appointed Prime Minister of Qatar in June 2013. He was also appointed Minister of the Interior in 2013.
In addition to being Prime Minister and Minister of Interior, His Excellency the Prime Minister has held the position of Commander for the Internal Security Force (Lekhwiya) since 2004.
Between 2005 and 2013, His Excellency the Prime Minister assumed the post of Minister of State for Interior Affairs.
On 4 November 2018, His Excellency the Prime Minister was appointed Chairman of the National Tourism Council.
His Excellency the Prime Minister is also the Chairman of the Security Committee for Organising Qatar World Cup 2022, and Chairman of the National Traffic Safety Committee.
His Excellency the Prime Minister is an executive member of the Supreme Council for Economic and Investments Affairs.
In addition, His Excellency the Prime Minister held several positions in the Police and Security Forces, including:
- Commander of the Special Operations Battalion and Commander of the Special Unit at the Special Security Forces Department
- Director of the Special Security Forces Department in 2002
- Assistant Commander of the Support Battalion at the Emergency Police Section
- Assistant Director of the Special Security Forces Department for Operations Affairs in 2001
- Officer of Stadium Security at the Capital Police Section in 1989
- Officer of Patrols at the Rescue Police Section in 1985
His Excellency the Prime Minister and Minister of Interior has a BSc in Police Sciences from Durham Military College, and a BA in law from Beirut Arab University
His Excellency Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani has been awarded the French Medal of the National Gendarmerie for his role in the completion of joint projects with the French Gendarmerie in 2012.
In 2009, His Excellency the Prime Minister was awarded the French Legion of Honour in recognition for his efforts in strengthening relations between Qatar and France.
In 2007, His Excellency the Prime Minister was awarded the International Medal for Civil Defence for his work in supporting and establishing civil protection agencies.